Do you have ideas to make my days more adventurous?

Let me know!

Email them to: leah is traveling @ gmail . com

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jan 10th: Portraits...(ahhhh!!)

I was recently encouraged to focus on portraits during my time in NE India and China - which I find very appropriate.

During my last trip to China, I tried really hard to muster up the nerves to approach people and take a portrait of them. But I just couldn't! Portraits seem so personal to me, like you lose a part of your soul with every picture taken (yes, I just referenced Zoolander).
So, I took the easy route and snapped some of kids. Adults just seemed way too intimidating for me.

Really though, how can a perfect stranger ask for something so intimate? I think it's just my fear because my friend Anna would show me up by waltzing up to police officers, shop-keeps, and elderly folk with determination. Then, of course, she would return to me to show off her loot. Ugh. And it was always such gorgeous loot.

So, today I decided to start pondering portraits. And who would make a less intimidating subject than myself? Well, maybe my cat.

Today is one of those days where I regret I can only post one picture because the entire series is quite a riot. And they got even more entertaining when my house mate and her fiance found me at the kitchen table with my camera (they of course joined in).

But here is the one picture I decided to go with out of all - a photo of myself that was deemed 'not so fetching' by my sister-in-law. I like it though :)


No comments:

Post a Comment